Cooking for a cause
Mon, 21 Jan 2013 15:19:21 GMT —
2012 was one of the busiest years at the Food Bank of the Rio Grande Valley.
Thousands of residents don't have food to eat and even more struggle just to put something on the table for their families.
A group of talented chefs have put their culinary skills to use to create change here at home.
Ruby Martinez and Gene Carangal joined Action 4 Sunrise to explain the contents of their new cookbook, with proceeds going towards the food bank.
Carangal even showed you how to prepare one of the many recipes you'll find in the new cookbook.
Adobo Short Ribs:
4 lbs beef short ribs
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1 large onion
1 cup red wine
1 cup cane vinegar
8 garlic cloves, crushed
1. Season short ribs generously with salt.
2. Heat a Dutch oven over high heat and add the oil. Brown all sides of the short ribs.
3. Set aside the ribs and pour off the fat from the pot. Add the red wine and use a wooden spoon to scrape the browned bits at the bottom of the pot.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low.
5. Let simmer, covered, for 2-3 hours.
6. Optional. Remove ribs from pot and use an immersion blender until onions and garlic are thoroughly blended.
Serve with steamed white rice.