Health Care Reform
Roughly a third of Rio Grande Valley residents don't have health insurance, according to data published by Enroll America, a nonprofit organization created to help people sign up for health insurance.
About 34 percent of Starr County residents don't have health insurance, according to Enroll America -- the highest percentage in Texas. Hidalgo County ranks third, with 33 percent of residents living without health insurance. And in Cameron County, about 30 percent of residents don't have health insurance.
During December, Valley residents can change those troubling statistics by signing up for health insurance during the annual open enrollment period.
From 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. on January 7th, CBS 4 News will host an Affordable Care Act phone bank with Enroll America and the Valley Baptist health system.
Call (956) 366-4422 for information.
* About 16 percent of Texans don't have health insurance.
* Hispanics in Texas are more likely to lack insurance than the general population. About 23 percent of Hispanics living in Texas don't have health insurance.
* The county with the highest percentage of uninsured residents? Starr County, where 34 percent of the population doesn't have insurance.
* Hidalgo County, where 33 percent of residents don't have health insurance, isn't far behind.
* Hispanic men aged 18 to 34 are the most likely not to have health insurance.
* Health care spending topped $3 trillion last year, according to the New York Times.