Money Talks News: Tax Hacks 2014: How to Get Free Tax Preparation

Income taxes can be complicated, and even small mistakes could cost you big bucks. So should you pay for professional help?

Definitely not. At least, not until you find out if you qualify for free help. Here are some resources you should definitely check out:

If you made 51 grand or less than last year, you can get free filing help from VITA: Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.

These are IRS-certified volunteers are available in thousands of offices nationwide.

And then, there's AARP. They also assist people nationwide, with low to moderate income, paying special attention to those aged 60 or over.

And even if you're too young or make too much to get personal assistance free, there are still ways to do your taxes absolutely free.

There are websites that supply free tax preparation and even free electronic filing.

They charge for state returns - I found prices ranging from 10 to 30 dollars, so do compare before you start.

Then there's IRS FreeFile.

Free online software and e-filing if your income is less than 58 grand. And if you're willing just to file your own taxes with online forms, you can do that and file electronically free, no matter what your income.

And then there's free help, either in-person at an IRS office or on their toll-free number.

Bottom line? Before you head to that tax preparer, find out if you can get your taxes done for free either with help or on your own.

If you need more tax advice, we've got tons of it waiting for you.

Just go to and search for "Tax Hacks 2014."

For Money Talks News, I'm Stacy Johnson.