70 / 55
      72 / 56
      75 / 61

      Brownsville family speaks about boy who died after drinking gasoline

      A Brownsville boy is dead after an incident where he reportedly drank gasoline.

      The incident happened on Coach Drive just outside Brownsville city limits around 10:30 a.m. Monday.

      Paramedics were called out to the home after 2-year-old identified by family members as Baby Leonardo Rafael Silva reportedly drank gasoline.

      Family members told Action 4 News that the mother was hanging clothes while the baby was playing.

      According to the boy's uncle, there was a lawnmower outside but everything was closed.

      The family told Action 4 News that Baby Leonardo somehow opened the tank, got a pipe and either drank or inhaled the gasoline.

      The boy went inside the house where an aunt noticed he was dizzy and gagging.

      Paramedics worked on Baby Leonardo but family members said he started coughing up blood at a local hospital.

      The boy was taken to the Edinburg Children's Hospital where he died around 7 p.m. Monday.

      The family said Baby Leonardo would have turned three years old in September.

      The Cameron County Sheriff's Department is holding a press conference at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday.

      Sheriff Omar Lucio said the family is not facing charges at this time while authorities are waiting on autopsy results to learn more about the boy's death.

      To help the family of Baby Leonardo with funeral expenses, donations can be made directly to Garza Memorial Funeral Home in Brownsville at 1025 East. Jackson Street.

      Press Conference: Brownsville Boy Dies After Drinking Gasoline