It was supposed to be a weekend of school pride but officials have cancelled the Lyford High School football game and all homecoming activities following a deadly accident that claimed the life of a well-known athlete.
Texas Department of Public of Public Safety (DPS) state troopers have confirmed 15-year-old Gabriela "Gaby" Rivera died in an ATV accident east of Lyford on Monday evening.
State troopers said Rivera was one of eight girls riding in a 2012 Polaris Ranger Crew 500 all-terrain vehicle.
Investigators believe the right tires of the ATV hit a patch of mud causing it to rollover.
The accident claimed the life of Rivera and left another 15-year-old girl in critical condition.
State troopers reported that the other seven girls have already been treated and released for their injuries.
Willacy County Sheriff Department deputies told Action 4 News that the girls had been working on a homecoming float.
The school's homecoming game against Progreso High School was scheduled to take place on Friday evening.
Lyford Consolidated Independent School District officials confirmed that they are cancelling the game and all homecoming in light of the accident.
Family members told Action 4 News that Rivera played basketball, volleyball and softball for the school.
The family is spending the day planning Rivera's funeral:
- Wednesday, September 19th: Viewing for family and friends at Good Shepherd Funeral Home (5 to 9 pm)
- Thursday, September 20th: Rosary at Good Shepherd Funeral Home (7 pm)
- Friday, September 21st: Rosary at Good Shepherd Funeral Home (7 pm)
- Saturday, September 22nd: Funeral Service at Prince of Peace Catholic Church (10 am)
- Saturday, Saturday 22nd: Burial at Lyford Cemetery (After Service)
Action 4 News will have more information during our 6 and 10 p.m. newscasts.