58 / 48
      65 / 47
      67 / 39

      Mercedes family loses home, dog in fire

      Maria Zuniga watched TV Saturday night, at her home on Fresno Lane, outside Mercedes when she suddenly noticed thick smoke coming from one of her rooms.She said her first instinct was to alert her two sons, then run out of the home.Her quick actions possibly saved her family's life, because just moments later, flames took over her home."I couldn't do anything, Zuniga said.I mean what could I do? I was stunned - it's my home and it's unfortunate."The Zuniga family said old wiring sparked the fire.Zuniga, her husband and their two sons had lived in the home over 25 years.Zuniga said there's no other place she'll be able to call home."It's just not the same, I'm so used to my home," Zuniga said.To make it worse, Zuniga said, she couldn't save any of her important documents or belongings - not even the family's pit-bull, La Gorda, was able to make it out. "She died, a teary-eyed Zuniga said. She was like family."Zuniga is torn-up about losing La Gorda, but is thankful her family is unharmed.She's also thankful for support from her neighbors."All of us here in the neighborhood look out for one another, a neighbor said. Today tragedy struck her, tomorrow it could be any of us."The Zuniga family will stay with family until they find another place to live.Zuniga said she hopes to rebuild in the very same lot, where her home used to sit.To help the Zuniga family you can contact Efren Trevio at 956-650-1279.