Preliminary Autopsy: San Benito girl choked on balloon
Wed, 30 Jan 2013 18:13:58 GMT —
Preliminary autopsy results show that a 7-year-old San Benito girl died after choking on a balloon.
Sullivan Elementary School student Ruby Ramirez died on Tuesday morning.
Ramirez was with a family member when she collapsed towards the end of the school day on Monday.
According to initial reports, a school nurse performed CPR on the girl until an ambulance arrived.
Paramedics rushed the first grader to the Valley Baptist Medical Center where she died.
San Benito police are investigating Ramirez's death.
Preliminary autopsy results show she died due to asphyxia due to a balloon blocking her airway.
Family members set up a bank account at Capital One Bank in San Benito to assist the family with funeral expenses.
Those wishing to make donations may do so in the name of Elena Ramirez.
Action 4 News spoke to family members. Their interview will air during our 5 and 6 p.m. newscasts.