San Juan kidnapping suspect out of hospital and now behind bars
Fri, 04 May 2012 15:21:44 GMT —
A week after he allegedly kidnapped his wife and two children from their San Juan home, an Alamo man, shot during the rescue of the victims, finally faced a judge.
19-year-old Eliseo Alvardo might be out of the hospital, but he's going to spend some time behind bars as he was charged with three counts of aggravated kidnapping and two counts of terroristic threats.
Alvardo slowly made his way into the San Juan courtroom, clad in a hospital gown with pain showing on his face.
It was April 25 that Alvardo was in a showdown with law enforcement after he allegedly kidnapped his wife and her two children from their home in San Juan.
San Juan police said it was a relative that filed the initial report that said the woman had been kidnapped and was being held against her will.
Police said the next day, they located the victims and Alvardo in a home in 'Little Mexico' located south of Alamo.
It was there that police, Hidalgo County Sheriff deputies, and U.S. Marshals were able to pull the victims out of back window.
In the process, police said, Alvardo turned his back to authorities, reaching for something, it was at that time that a deputy U.S. Marshal shot Alvardo.
Judge: Where did you get shot?
Alvardo: In my back.
Judge: Your back or your side.
Alvardo: My back. They caught me in my stomach and on my side.
Judge: Are you doing better?
Alvardo: No not to good.
Alvardo is in the U.S. illegally, and during the arraignment, he told the judge he's been here since he was 2-years old.
Alvarado's bond was set at $245,000.
He also has an immigration detainer on him because of his legal status.