School admin to remain on the job amid sexual harassment investigation
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 03:13:56 GMT —
The chief financial officer for Ignite Public Schools remained on the job, even as charter school looked into the allegations of sexual harassment several women made against him.
A total of three women, including a student enrolled at one of the group TMs charter school, filed the claims in May, but they said little has been done since then.
"Ignite has been going through several changes of administration and that's partly why it's been taking so long," the school TMs legal counsel, Raymundo Valdez, said.
But even under new administration, and as the group looks into the claims made against Abrego, Valdez confirmed that he will remain on the job as chief financial officer.
"One of those allegations has been looked into and has been resolved, Valdez added. The parties to those allegations were met with and that allegation has been resolved."
The charter school TMs board met on Tuesday night for several hours, ending the meeting close to midnight.
On their way out, they refused to answer questions about whether they had discussed the sexual harassment allegations during the closed session of the meeting, and whether any action would be taken.
Abrego previously worked as assistant superintendent for the Edinburg CISD.
He was suspended, and he subsequently resigned from his position, in November 2010, amid a similar investigation into claims of sexual harassment made against him.
Action 4 News will provide more information on the investigation, as it becomes available.