Customs officials temporarily halted traffic in both directions at the Los Indios International Bridge following a shootout south of the border.
U.S. Customs and Border Proection (CBP) spokesman told Action 4 News that the decision was made around 12:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Authorities reopened the bridge at approximately 2 p.m. Wednesday.
Perez said CBP received reports about the shootout from motorists and Mexican authorities.
CBP Port Director Michael Freeman told Action 4 News that the shootout took place about 9 miles south of the bridge when the conflict started heading north.
Freeman said tactical teams were sent out to the bridge as a precaution.
Authorities temporarily diverted traffic from both the northbound and southbound lanes of the bridge.
Action 4 News spoke with several Mexican law enforcement agencies about the incident but they said they could not provide any information at this time.
Area residents had been reporting about shootouts in Valle Hermoso, Enpalme and Lucio Blanco since mid-Wednesday morning.
Mexican Navy officials confirmed late Wednesday afternoon that marines were involved in the firefight but were not ready to release details.
Action 4 News will provide more information as it becomes available.