91 / 70
      92 / 71
      92 / 72

      Tea kettle blamed in Harlignen house fire

      Tea kettle blamed in Harlingen house fire

      A tea kettle left unattended, caused a big mess.

      Several fire trucks responded to the scene at Watson and Haverford Streets near Harlingen High School South late Friday morning.

      Firefighters say a woman left her tea brewing for too long which sparked a small fire in her kitchen.

      It was quickly put out but it is a learning lesson for everyone.

      "According to neighbors the lady was inside brewing some tea and then walked outside to say hello to neighbors. By the time they turned around they saw that there was smoke coming out," said Harlingen Fire Department Captain Eduardo Alvarez.

      No injuries were reported but the fire caused minor damage to the kitchen area.

      "Don't leave anything unattended on the stove. It can get out of hand," said Alvarez.