Valley Residents React to Tamaulipas Bus Hijackings
Mon, 11 Apr 2011 04:35:09 GMT —
Veronica Pea said Sunday that with all the reports of kidnapping and killing there have been in Mexico recently, she doesn TMt feel comfortable traveling there.
That TMs why she and her family have avoided going to Mexico for the past two years.
The most recent tragedy she and many learned about was the discovery of 72 bodies found in mass graves near San Fernando, Tamaulipas.
They were reportedly bus passengers that had been gunned-down.
"I mean it's a sad story, we lost a lot of lives, Pea said.
Most of the passengers were Mexican citizens, but Friday the U.S. State Department confirmed that among the dozens dead, there was at least one American.
Matamoros resident Leticia Moreno said she doesn TMt travel by bus often, but added that one of her closest friends is still searching for her husband who also went missing during a bus trip.
"She went to the morgue to see if one of the bodies (found in the graves) was that of her husband's, Moreno said. But they are waiting for the autopsies."
Moreno said it's the bus company's responsibility to notify authorities when something so serious happens, especially because they record passenger information like names and destinations, which could help authorities in tracking-down missing people.
Moreno said with Holy Week just around the corner, she has noticed one change along the Mexican highways.
"On the highway from Ciudad Victoria to Matamoros, there's a lot of soldiers guarding the roads, Moreno said. I think it's because of all the travelers expected on the roads for Easter."
Moreno said as long as the soldiers continue guarding the Mexican highways, she feels safe to continue traveling there.
However, she TMll take her own precautions as well and avoid night travel.