Vets save New York City dog that swallowed 111 pennies
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:38:34 GMT —
NEW YORK (AP) " A New York City dog has undergone emergency surgery to remove more than 100 pennies from its stomach.
The New York Daily News reports that a Jack Russell terrier named Jack swallowed 111 pennies last week and quickly became ill.
The 13-year-old pooch's owner rushed it to a Manhattan veterinarian for emergency surgery.
That's when dog doctors put Jack under anesthesia and methodically removed all 111 coins. The zinc from the coins could be lethal.
The dog's owner told the newspaper his best friend is back to its normal self, driving him crazy.
___Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Barrington Broadcasting is a member of the AP Network.