The UIL legislative council standing committee on athletics met today in Austin and made various recommendations to be passed by the legislative council. Here are some of the highlights and how they affect the Rio Grande Valley.
1. A 4th playoff team will be added to all team sports for Class 3A and Class 2A beginning in the fall of 2013.
2. If approved by a majority of 3A superintendents, Class 3A football will be split into Division I and Division II before the season , just as Class 1A and Class 2A already do, beginning with the next realignment in 2014.
3. Boys and girls high school soccer will add a new Class 3A beginning with the next realignment in 2014.
4. The UIL will add a Class 6A and renumber the classifications beginning with the next realignment in 2014, with 6-man to be known as 1A, 1A to be known as 2A, etc., culminating with 5A being known as 6A.
5. One tournament will be cut from all team sports' regular season schedule beginning in the fall of 2013. There is a proposal that would allow that tournament to be replaced by games.
6. All football playoff games may be televised if both teams agree to the broadcast.
To see the complete REPORT OF THE UNIVERSITY INTERSCHOLASTIC LEAGUE LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL STANDING COMMITTEE ON ATHLETICS, click here, it begins on page 22.